Find out what's happening near you!EventAware
Artificial Intelligence speaker across the globe
Our Co-founder and Technical Director, Dr. John Flackett, is an Artificial Intelligence speaker, educator, advisor. Artificial Intelligence is John's passion and has been an integral part of his career via teaching, research, business and education. A leader and expert in his field, John has achieved a PhD in Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning & Natural Language Processing) and has 20+ years' experience working in AI. John’s worked in a wide range of industries and sectors (including banking, government and engineering) and previously was a Senior Academic for 10 years teaching masters and undergraduate Artificial Intelligence and undergraduate Computer Studies and Software Engineering at a UK University.
Dr. John Flackett is also Co-founder and Head of koolth's Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (AiLab) that assists industry, academia, government and community with learning and navigating AI through workshops, research, resources, policy development, and events.
A renown international speaker and expert in his field, John runs education programs and presents at events across the world, speaking about Artificial Intelligence, future jobs and emerging technology to industry, schools/education, community and government. As an AI advisor, John frequently contributes to media interviews, radio discussions, publications and roundtables.
John's academic and business career was recently featured in the Million Plus 'Think Modern' campaign that launched in the UK at the Palace of Westminster in May 2019. Download the report PDF and see page 24.
As a Software Engineer, John has also designed and developed bespoke software for use across many industries (including retail, oil, gas, education and IT), which are being used throughout Australia and around the world. John is also the organiser and co-founder of the popular Adelaide Artificial Intelligence Meetup series – the largest AI networking community in South Australia.
John is also fortunate to have picked up a couple of awards throughout his career, including multiple GovHack prizes and a British Computer Society (BCS) award. In his spare time, John assists with technology events and social good initiatives, as well mentoring individuals in the tech community. He is passionate about AI and his craft, and is dedicated to educating, collaborating, building AI awareness and helping as many people as possible to navigate the field of Artificial Intelligence.
If you would like John to talk at your next business event, convention or conference, please call us on +61 (0)8 8464 0787 or email us to make a booking. Below is a brief summary of a few of John's achievements, including some of John's talk's – which are featured in the scrolling bar below.
- International Speaker: Artificial Intelligence keynote speaker, presenter and panelist at events across the globe. John also runs workshops via AiLab on AI, future jobs and future technologies.
- Co-founder: AiLab, koolth and the Adelaide Artificial Intelligence meetup
- Education: John has a PhD in Artificial Intelligence, PgC in Research and First Class Honours in Computer Studies.
- Academia: Senior Academic at UK University: Teaching masters and undergraduate Artificial Intelligence, as well as undergraduate Computer Studies and Software Engineering. Also a Cisco Java Instructor and Supervisor/Coordinator of students final year undergraduate and postgraduate projects, as well as Supervisor for the annual, end of year Technology Degree Show.
- Media Interviews: Brand South Australia: Artificial Intelligence a game-changer for future jobs: interview, Invest Adelaide: 'AiLab Set to Bring Artificial Intelligence into the Mainstream': feature, Sunshine Coast Daily newspaper: 'Potential to game change': feature, Southampton Solent University: interview, The Advertiser newspaper: 'Artificial Intelligence potential, SA Business launch as part of Open State': interview and nbn Australia: 'Adelaide is the smart city to watch': interview.
- Mentor: For individuals in the tech community and participants of state/community hackathons.
- Software Engineer: Designed and developed global, bespoke software software for a wide range of industries (including retail, oil, gas, education and IT). These software solutions are being used throughout Australia and around the world. Also application architect & lead developer of EventAware; an intelligent, online event aggregator software application developed as part of the Adelaide D3 challenge competition.
- Solent University Spotlight – Million Plus 'Think Modern' Campaign: John's academic and business career was featured as part of the Million Plus 'Think Modern' campaign that was launched at the Palace of Westminster in the UK in May 2019. The Think Modern campaign is a showcase of the very best of the UK's modern universities and John was featured as the Solent University spotlight on page 24 of the Think Modern report. Download the report PDF to find out more.
- British Computer Society (BCS) Award Winner: Recipient of British Computer Society award.
- Emerging Tech Inspiration for 2017: John was nominated by Dev Diner readers as an Emerging Tech Inspiration for 2017.
- Major Award Winner Unleashed Adelaide - GovHack National Event: Part of an award winning team that won three awards; the South Australian 'Premiers Award', the 'Peoples Choice Award' (Australia Wide) and the 'Building on Science, Research and Environmental Data Award'.
See list below for information on a selection of John's events.
"Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience around Artificial Intelligence & Future Jobs with our Science, Technology and Maths teachers. Your presentation was not only informative but reassuring. It left us with many questions to consider – which is a good thing– including how we need to help prepare our young people for the unknown world of work in the future. Sometimes we get caught up in the content when we should equally be focusing on the skills needed. Your comment about the value of knowing how to research correctly really struck a cord... our young people do need to know how to find the correct, valid, current and relevant information they need when they need it. We're looking forward to hearing more from you in the future to help inform and shape the delivery of the STEM curriculum."
Sally Stewart – Senior Leader Career Development/VET/Senior School – Para Hills, South Australia
"I write on behalf of nbn co with a simple message of thanks for your keynote speaker role at the recent Unley Business Association and City of Unley Business Breakfast. The theme of “Artificial Intelligence and internet of the future” was overwhelming received with interest; though a shock to some when assessing the disruption and transitional impacts. nbn co, Council and the business community very much appreciated you volunteering your time, insights and passion. Your preparation, delivery tailored to the business audience, and your easy and engaging approach took us all on a journey that, for an early morning breakfast forum, was both entertaining and insightful. The value-added from a comprehensive understanding of digital marketing, website development and big data management was of particular value too. I’d not hesitate in seeking your services again, and would recommend you to anyone who asks – or doesn’t. I look forward working with you and koolth again in the future."
Chris Gregory – Senior Community Affairs Manager VIC/TAS/SA at nbn co – Adelaide, South Australia
“John shared his knowledge with our Polaris Centre clients when he keynoted our event Digital Horizons: the Future of Retail Online. His eloquent and thought provoking talk was very well received by the large audience and his slides were simple, effective and beautiful. I would absolutely recommend John to keynote your event, particularly if talking about Artificial Intelligence, Data (Big or Small) or anything web and IT related. Thanks John.”
Rhys Moult – Digital Business Advisor at Polaris Business & Innovation Centre – Salisbury, South Australia
Dr. John Flackett: Artificial Intelligence keynotes, talks, interviews & contributions
See list below for information on a selection of John's keynotes, talks, interviews and contributions.
Simulated Business Fair: TAFE SA, Adelaide, South Australia
"The Future of Retail Online"
Digital Horizons Event: Polaris Innovation Centre, Technology Park, Mawson Lakes, South Australia
"Future of e-Commerce & Online Shopping Platforms"
Digital Avenues Hangout: Online in Adelaide, South Australia
"Recursive Structures & Learning Machines"
Computer Science Seminar: The University of Adelaide, South Australia
"Scaling Compositional Connectionism"
Natural Language Processing Group: University of Sheffield, UK
"Scaling Connectionist Compositional Representations"
AAAI Conference: Washington DC, USA
"Connectionist/Symbolic Engine for Cognitive Tasks"
ECOOP Workshop: Lisbon, Portugal
"Process miniatures as a teaching aid"
Java in the Computing Curriculum: London Metropolitan University, 166-220 Holloway Rd, London, UK
"The Essence of Neural Networks"
by Rob Callan: Prentice Hall, UK
"Artificial Super Intelligence"
Interview with Caitlin Gardner. Published on DevDiner.com
Invited Speaker & Workshop
"Choosing the right direction for your business website"
Business Technology Mini Conference: Polaris Innovation Centre, South Australia
"Artificial Intelligence & The Future of the Internet"
City of Unley Business Breakfast: 181 Unley Road, Unley, South Australia
"Adelaide is the smart city to watch"
Interview with Jill Bottrall for NBN Australia. Published on nbnco.com.au/blog
"The Future of Work in Smart Cities"
Adelaide Smart City Studio Breakfast: The Science Exchange, Adelaide, South Australia
"GovHack Connections Adelaide"
Bradley Forum, UniSA City West Campus, North Terrace, Adelaide
"Artificial intelligence potential, SA business launch part of Open State"
Interview with The Advertiser. Published https://goo.gl/52kHts
"Artificial Intelligence & Future Jobs"
Southampton Solent University & The British Computer Society (BCS): Southampton, UK
"Artificial Intelligence Update"
Adelaide Smart City Studio: SA Water House Learning Centre, Level 1, 250 Victoria Square, Adelaide, South Australia
"Dr John Flackett: Artificial Intelligence"
Interview with Southampton Solent University. Published https://www.solent.ac.uk/news
"The Future of Artificial Intelligence"
Brisbane.AI: The Precinct, Startup Stadium, 315 Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley, Queensland
"AI – Future Business Benefits Forum"
The Old Ambulance Station, Nambour, Sunshine Coast, Queensland
"How Artificial Intelligence is transforming the economy"
National Economic Development Conference: The Pilbeam Theatre, Rockhampton, Queensland
"Past, Present & Future of AI"
Auckland University of Technology: AUT City Campus, New Zealand
"Careers of the Future Industry Insight"
Brand South Australia: Ayers House, Adelaide
"Is your Organisation ready for AI?"
AIML: University of Adelaide, South Australia
koolth is a smart web specialist company. We empower people with next generation online tools and transform businesses by providing powerful online experiences and expert web solutions.
On the 3rd April 2019, koolth's AiLab are supporting Adelaide Cyber Security event......
Find out what's happening near you!EventAware
We are thrilled with the final product and it is our pleasure to recommend koolth for any digital needs!